Friday, October 9, 2009

Bamileke.





I've been learning trop much the past month that I feel I need to write a few things about everything. Wednesday, I visited a microfinance organization and talked about women and their role in the informal sector and how that relates to microlending. That afternoon we met with an employee of MUFFA - Mutuelle Financiere des Femmes Africaines - another microfinance that was founded by women to serve women and fund small projects. Ironically, the employee we spoke with was the only male employee, and he is the branch manager in Yaounde. Thursday (yesterday), we met with Dan of the World Bank. Dan was an SIT student himself in Botswana and later became SIT Academic Director of the Botswana and Uganda programs. I learned beaucoup la bas, mais mostly that the WB has many programs and PROBLEMS in Cameroon, and Dan was not afraid to mention that to us. Oh, did I mention he's American, one of the few americans we've spoken with in Cam. After WB was the Peace Corps where we heard from 3 agro/health volunteers who are leaving in a month after 2 years of projects in various parts of the country. Schedule for next week: Monday - Caisse Nationale de Prevoyance Sociale (CNPS)/Ministry of Environment; Tuesday - Center for Environment and Development (CED)/US Embassy; Wed - Ministry of Finance.......I am ever amazed that we have such opportunities to meet with head officials/important actors in Cameroon and I am getting sooo many different perspectives on development and social problems. In what other program would I be able to pose as many questions as I can think of and then later share a meal with the only/main opposition leader to one of the 2 presidents in Cameroon's history (more to come on John Fru Ndi).

What I really wanted to talk about was the Bamileke culture, since it has such a huge presence in this part of Cameroon, namely in the west of the country. So, it’s difficult to talk about Dschang without talking about Bamileke culture. Bamileke is an ethnicity, which actually comprises around 20% of the actual population of Cameroon and is a group that is pretty controversial. Bamilekes are viewed as a versatile group that inhabits all regions of the country but are concentrated in the West. The name Bamileke is a deformation of Mba Lekeo by a german colonist. The name Bamileke is a broad generalization of smaller cultures within the ethnicity; every group is classified by a langue locale and identifies with a specific village. For example, my famille in Dschang is Bafang, meaning they are from Bafang and speak Bafang but are still Bamileke. If that makes sense...
           There's so much that I want to say about Bamilekes. They are a culture very much still attached to their traditions. Each Bamileke that I have encountered, like my grandmother in Yaounde who has lived here for most of her life, identifies strongly with a village and has a strong sense of village pride. Social organization in villages in based on a strict hierarchy. At the top is the chief, his mother, and ministers. 

Bamilekes are somewhat negatively stereotyped, as they have a long history of economic power and political activism. In fact, a frenchman stated "Le Cameroun va a l'independence avec un caillou dans la chaussure. Le caillou c'est les Bamilekes." Other groups view Bamilekes as stingy, greedy, materialistic, and individualist. Interestingly, there is not a Bamileke in a real position of power in the political system.


So, we visited the chefferie of Batufoum, a village a few hours from Dschang. After waiting for several hours outside, we viewed the chef's house and then met him in a sacred place outside for a meal. Then, we walked through the compound with the chef. We met some of his wives and children (chefs have many wives and tens/100s of children - the chef himself is the 90th child out of maybe 200)




13 comments:

  1. Dear Audrey,
    Every day I check your blog to see if any newest post. Great to see these images especially those of you looking so vibrant. I'm learning quite a bit from your descriptions. I'm amazed at how much you are seeing and learning as well as your keen ability to teach what you are learning. Incredible that you have such access to these peoples' lives and the institutions. I love that your hungry mind is able to immerse in the experience, almost limitless content and process. You are the ultimate researcher! Take care. Wonderful work. Miss you. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Audrey, did you ever get some mail from me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ya! i got everything on friday. thanks for the book! haha my cameroonian friends were VERY amused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey aud aud, that all sounds very interesting. it's cool that you get to spend so much time within another culture. hmm yes, interesting. keep up the good work brothaa. let me know when you want me to call you again. oh and there's a;ready snow here...the second week of october. pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey D, I've really enjoyed your blog and photos...you have a great exuberance...excellente! If you are staying longer I will send more anti malarial. Let me know. Also hope you are taking your meds as needed so you are covered while you are there. Remember to be careful with what you eat and drink and water and, and, and...amoebiasis, cholera, malaria, typhoid, TB are still prevalent so take precautions...even while you are learning and enjoying yourself. I'm proud of you and so happy for you...Love, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the reminder..i just took my malarone for teh day. as for the other illnesses, my friend laura had (on her 21st bday i might add) malaria, typhoid, and a parasite. we joked about the "oregon trail illnesses" and imagine, back in yaounde, my good friend kate now has dysentary. all thats left is cholera and CONVENIENT, theres a cholera outbreak in the north, where we are going in about a week. pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chere Odray,
    Merci beaucoup pour tous les mots re les Bamilekes.
    Je suis fatigue de francaise, puis, anglaise!!
    Whew! It is too hard on my brain to think up French mots!!
    How very interesting for you to meet with heads of important departments in the government as well as the chief/chef with so many wives/enfants!
    Please pay attention to what your dad is telling you about being careful, washing hands, taking meds, etc.
    I am off to Dallas for an Assistance League conference demain, back on Sunday.
    Have you received a package from us yet?
    Love,
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Audrey D...just sitting at DIA enroute to Columbus Ohio. How goes the battle...as they say? It's nice to have these breaks to think/read/conjecture/contemplate. Your mom and I discussed you staying a little longer yesterday. I'm just happy you have the opportunities you have and are making the most of them. Emily also enjoyed talking to you but said it was a little difficult to understand your french/african accent. Cool...real immersion. Have you started dreaming in french yet? Keep well...love, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, I've been talking with all about christmas break and visiting Crested Butte either Dec 21-24 or Dec 31-Jan 4. What are your thoughts...I know if you stay 2 extra weeks you'd miss anything before christmas. Ran 2 hours this evening through the leafy forest, beside a river north of Columbus Ohio. It reminded me of your Crew Regatta in Sacramento. Love, Pop

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool..running... uhh i dont know yet how long to stay/all the details. hope to figure it out sometime soon. i need to check with the airlines too. and im also fine not going to crested butte too so whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps, thanks grandmom, i just received your letter yesterday!!! i think it takes about a month for things to reach me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like if you do stay longer I will need to send you extra malarone in a couple weeks so it gets to you in time? Can you send me your address? Also will more likely now schedule CB for your bday weekend? Including New Years for skiing/xcountry etc? Let me know if that works...love, pop

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think mom has my address, and as for CB, i think i'd rather be in gj for my bday. ill just send u an individual email before i head north on friday

    ReplyDelete