Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Yaounde

so, we arrived last night! Until friday, we are staying in a monastery, which is located on a hill next to President Biya's compound! Where to start...I am rooming with Celine, a student from CU Boulder. We discovered that we have the same shoes, skirts, headlamps, etc..a good match! We woke up early for le petit-dejeuner, et apres, we started orientation. there will be 4 other Cameroonian students who will attend classes and some excurions with us. Classes will consume about 25 hours of our school weeks, and I already have a paper due on Thursday. I will write more later, when i have more time, about the extent of my studies for the next few months.
It's  slightly disorienting, as everyone speaks french the majority of the time. I'm trying, though. This afternoon, I had my french placement interview with Andre, a local professor from Yaounde who teaches french, german, and some english. He tape recorded the conversation, which the language coordinator will evaluate tomorrow after the remaining students are interviewed.
It's so strange, after talking with most of the other students, that we are so connected..we have mutual friends and have been to the same places. Ellen, the Bates' rower and i decided that we would work out together sometimes..We'll see. On friday, i will meet my host family and then spend the whole weekend with them, without SIT participation. Monday, the rigorous academic schedule begins.
Write more later,
Audrey

2 comments:

  1. Audrey, I'm so happy to hear that you are safe and ready to roll up your sleeves. You must have slept on your flights. So cool about the people in your cohort. Fellow travellers..... Take care. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..."roll up your sleeves," indeed. Have fun. And while you're over yonder, I will be here literally taking up the oar you have presently set down to rest. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete